Welcome to Kilbrittain Parish's website.
Use this site to find out more about our parish, and to keep up to date with what's happening.
St. Patrick's Church, Kilbrittain
Priest in charge:
Fr. Jerry Cremin.
Tel: 023 8849637
Emergency Tel: 087-785 7712
Altar of St. Patrick's Church, Kilbrittain
Brief History of Kilbrittain Church
Kilbrittain Parish Church was built in 1790. The priest at the time was Fr. Patrick Geran OSF (1760 - 1814). It was extended sometime in the 1840ís. The Church was dedicated to St. Patrick on the 10th of June 1892. The steps up to the main door were modified in the late 1950s. The sanctuary was reordered in the late 1960s when the altar and surround in Connemara marble were put in place. New colour glass windows were put in in 1968. The church was refurbished and reordered in 1981. The Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated on the 5th July 1981. The mansard roof effect was added at that stage to protect the walls from weather. In 2004 the roof was reslated and slightly modified at the south end and in 2007 a new floor was laid in concrete.
Kilbrittain Parish belongs to the Pastoral Area consisting of a group of five parishes, Bandon, Enniskeane, Innishannon, Kilbrittain and Newcestown. Fr John Kingston of Innishannon has been appointed Coordinator of this area.
Marriage records go back to August 1810. Baptismal records go back to July 1811. Unfortunately in the very early years there is just a list of names and no date of baptism. Up to 1923 there is only a date of baptism. After that the date of birth is also recorded.